What is the Difference between Emissions Testing and a Smog Check?
Emissions Testing vs. Smog Check
State and local mandated emissions testing meets the EPA Tier 2 standard, while smog testing meets California's higher standard for EPA Tier 3.
How Do I Know If I Need a Smog Test?
Your DMV registration renewal notice will indicate "Smog Check Required" if your vehicle needs a smog check.
When Is a Smog Check Required?
- If you are selling a car or truck that is more than four years old
- When you register an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California, you will need a smog check
- Every other year for vehicles that are more than six years old
When Is a Smog Check Not Required?
- 100% electric-powered vehicles do not need a smog check
- Motorcycles do not need a smog check
- Got a classic car? Vehicles that are model-year 1975 and older do not require a smog check
- Vehicles six model years and newer do not require a biennial Smog check
- Selling your car? Cars that are four model years and newer do not require a change-of-ownership Smog check
- Diesel-powered trucks that are model year 1997 and older
- Diesel-powered trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 14,000 pounds
Kimberly Hengsteler, 05/10/2023
Too many good things to say about Paul (owner) that I am going to just highlight a few. However, I am happy to answer any questions or add more if requested. Paul is knowledgeable, honest, and understanding! He loves his job and it shows. I would recommend Superior Auto Clinic to any and ALL, especially if you are tired of being lied to, misled, disappointed, frustrated, or are a female! He treats all his customers like they are special and truly just wants to help you, me, and everybody. Thanks Paul (and Rudy) for all you do to keep our cars running smooth!